Monday, February 17, 2014

Who is Houston's Greatest Mayor?



Houston, I believe, is a city with politics I agree with. As a result, we have had many great Mayors. In this blog, I will talk about who I think was Houston’s greatest Mayor.

I believe Mayor Bill White has been Houston’s greatest Mayor. Mayor Bill White, championed public/private partnerships. He created the “SafeClear” plan, which contracted towing companies to various parts of the cities highways, so that once a car broke down, a tow truck was instantly there to get it. During Hurricane Rita he convinced gas stations to send attendants to run up and down the cities highways, filling cars up with gas. When the Astros made it to the World Series, he contracted private companies to throw a party near the stadium, making a profit both for the city and for those companies. I liked Mayor Bill White’s creative ways to handle the cities issues. He also improved historical preservation, balanced the budget within the first few months of taking office, (something the previous Mayor couldn’t do in several years) and, although it wasn’t his idea, it was his efforts that made Discovery Green happen.

You may disagree with me on this issue and if you do, feel free to leave a comment explaining who you think has been our greatest Mayor. I believe it is Bill White for the reason’s above but don’t get me wrong. Houston has had many great Mayors.

No comments:

Post a Comment